She Likes To Cook
Welcome to my new blog!
It is difficult to explain how genuinely excited I am to start my blog, She Likes To Cook. I have been thinking about this project since I was in college (I graduated with a degree in Computer Science in 2011). While I was discovering myself in college and exploring my passions, I began learning about some of the many family recipes that have been passed down through the generations. Many recipes come from a grill house that my family owned in Boston (there will be more to come about that restaurant in future posts).
The last five years have been very hectic, my wife and I got engaged, married, bought a house, and adopted our first child Patrick. This blog will be my way to experiment, share, and organize recipes for my future readers and for my family as well.
I hope you enjoy my posts as much as I will creating them. As a way to add a little context to my new endeavor, I wrote up elven quick facts about myself, my life, and my family.
- I live in the same town I grew up in. After searching for a house for over a year and a half, my wife and I finally found an apartment only a few blocks away from my parents and a short walk away from my in-laws; I couldn’t be happier. I grew up living right next door to my maternal grandparents while my paternal grandparents also live a mile away, so living so close to family just seemed right.
- My buddy asked me to marry him in 6th grade. He did! He actually asked me to marry him when we were in grade school, then with a real ring after we both graduated from college. We have always been exceptionally close friends, but we didn’t start truly dating because I was not interested.
- All my cats are rescues. I officially adopted my first cat when I was a senior in high school. She was only 8 weeks old, living in a garage and covered in fleas. She is currently 9 and lives with my parents! We named her Becky. The summer after my husband graduated college, he adopted Ruddy from a high kill shelter in Ohio. The following December I adopted the love of my life, Kinsley. She had severe mange, giardia, and an infection from her spay and was the most timid cat I have ever met. After years of treatments, a whole bunch of cash, and a lot of patience, she became a happy and healthy member of our family. Last but not least, in April 2015, we adopted our cutest of the bunch, Tommy. Her family could no longer care for her and handed her over to us. If it were up to me I would just keep adopting, but my wife put a stop to that and then we had our first two legged child.
- I am extraordinarily close with my family. My dad, my sisters and my brother are my best friends! We hang out all the time and I really love living close to them. Then with my grandma living next door to my parents I get to see my aunts and cousins all the time! It’s the best!
- Potato chips are my ultimate weakness. While I love to cook and try new recipes, chips are my weakness; I will eat them all!
- I love a good glass of vodka. When my wife and I go to the liquor store, she’s done her research and talks with the consultant in the store, whereas I like to pick out bottles based on the cute label on the front; both methods work just fine. We do try our best pairing our drinks with the food we eat, it’s so fun to experiment and can really enhance some of the flavors. We are also wine club members at our favorite restaurant and we chose Napa Valley for our honeymoon.
- Sesame oil is addictive. I am just obsessed and I try and find ways to incorporate it into everything I do.
- I try to live a natural life. Often I do not eat as healthy as I want, but it’s hard when you love food! I try to cook from scratch as often as I can and I try to reduce waste by shopping at the local farm stand, using reusable containers, cloth napkins, and even cloth diapers on our baby! I like to use essential oils for many things from making my own chap stick to using them in a diffuser. And I try to get enough sleep and exercise so I feel great everyday! Don’t get me wrong, I am only human and I slip up often, but I do my best to live naturally and healthily.
- I swear a lot. I really try not to, but sometimes F-words just pop out!
- Finally, I am obsessed with The Prodigy. I grew up listening to The Prodigy in the car with my dad and aunts and in 2001 I went to my first trip to California. My son and one of my cats names are all Prodigy inspired.
- Finally, there is a number 11 fun fact. Oh, wait. There is no fun fact #11.
Stay tuned for my Velvet Cake recipe!